By Carroll Pursell
- 22 unique essays by way of professional students conceal crucial gains of yankee expertise, together with advancements in cars, tv, and computing
- Analyzes the ways that applied sciences are prepared, akin to within the engineering occupation, govt, drugs and agriculture
- Includes discussions of ways applied sciences engage with race, gender, category, and different organizing constructions in American society
Read or Download A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Similar history of technology & engineering books
How did a small, unknown corporation like Qualcomm be capable to hurricane the instant and develop right into a multibillion greenback powerhouse in lower than a decade? The Qualcomm Equation offers an in-depth examine Qualcomm's enterprise version, in addition to chronicling the intriguing early heritage of the corporate. Readers will achieve perception into the tools Qualcomm used to license a turning out to be record of patents for revenue, and examine from the main enterprise suggestions that enabled Qualcomm to leapfrog the contest.
Approximately part the world's inhabitants speaks languages derived from a shared linguistic resource often called Proto-Indo-European. yet who have been the early audio system of this historical mom tongue, and the way did they have the capacity to unfold it all over the world? previously their identification has remained a tantalizing secret to linguists, archaeologists, or even Nazis looking the roots of the Aryan race.
The U. S. military entered international warfare II unprepared. additionally, missing Germany's blitzkrieg procedure of coordinated armor and air strength, the military used to be equipped to struggle wars: one at the floor and one within the air. past commentators have blamed Congressional investment and public apathy for the army's unprepared country.
After a devastating typhoon in 1919, the folk of Corpus Christi confronted the stark fact in their vulnerability. It was once transparent that anything needed to be performed, however the mere will to take precautionary measures didn't unavoidably prepared the ground. as an alternative, twenty years could go earlier than a good answer was once in position.
- Asia's Space Race: National Motivations, Regional Rivalries, and International Risks (Contemporary Asia in the World)
- London's Lost Power Stations and Gasworks
- Mission Control: Inventing the Groundwork of Spaceflight
- Reconstruction Designs of Lost Ancient Chinese Machinery: 3 (History of Mechanism and Machine Science)
- Colorado: Mapping the Centennial State through History: Rare and Unusual Maps from the Library of Congress (Mapping the States through History)
Extra resources for A Companion to American Technology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)